OK I have a 998 with the low gears but it also has a very good non-locking 998 spline converter that footbrakes right at 3100 behind the 341" LA motor in the Rocky. I also have a good rebuildable 904 core I just picked up last night and a T/A shift kit....(I don't want to put a full race VB in this thing just yet....not until I get a handle on how this 85" wheelbase toy goes down the track.....with the stock 318 it went straight as a string, but now I'm doubling the hp and the launch RPM speed.

Since i already have a good (great) converter, The main achilles heel (I'm told) of the 998 is really the high gear spring pack is too weak and tends to slip in high gear for racing....but I'm also told this could simply be swapped for a 904 drum/spring pack and would work well for a maybe 450 horse 2800 pound "thing" with 4.56 gears.

The other option is obvious....swap the low gear set into the 904 but that leaves me with the dillema of finding another ($$$) converter to replace the one that happens to work very well.

Based on what I've laid-out and given the motor car we're dealing with, what is the best use of the components I have? I'm Thinking both the Low gearset and the 998 input shaft/vert can be swapped into a 904 (which would really be perfect) but I may be off base.....

I just want to build it with the best combo of parts that I have on hand and go rounds reliably....to be honest I probably don't NEED the deep gearset with this car but since I already have them...

I've built several trannies but I've never really stayed up on the 'what goes with what' parts combinations that are possible.....I know some of you guys know TF trannies inside and out, so I'm all ears

I'd love to ship it off to one of our Moparts guys on the site here...but the Varners (Bill Sr. and Junior) here in Charlotte are very well-known/respected as a TF gurus and a long time (3 generations) racing family....and I haven't blown up anything he's built for me in over 20 years I've known him.....and that's been quite a few Torqueflights

Last edited by Streetwize; 03/01/10 09:51 PM.

WIZE

World's Quickest Diahatsu Rocky (??) 414" Stroker Small block Mopar Powered. 10.84 @ 123...and gettin' quicker!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mWzLma3YGI

In Car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjXcf95e6v0