I run a diesel fueled torpedo type heater inside my garage. It has a chimney to keep the exhaust seperate so I piped the exhaust outside and kept the heater inside my garage. To paint a block in winter, what I would do is let the heater run for a while to thoroughly get the garage up to a high temp, say 75-85F, then shut off the heater and do my painting. The garage will contain that amount of heat long enough for most of the solvent to flash off. Then I open the door a bit to vent the fumes, once the fumes are gone I restart the heater. Don't want to run a flame heater while there's paint fumes in the air. I can also setup the heater to sit outside and blow hot air into the garage through the window. This would be the best option for painting as it keeps the garage warm, keeps the flame away from solvent fumes and provides a source of fresh, dry air.

I tried the 220v construction heater in my garage, it works, but takes all day to get my insulated single car garage up to temp. That and if you want to paint with one running, you want to get one with a sealed motor specifically made to be fume-safe. However without a source of fresh, outside air it takes paint a longer time to dry.

Quote:

Edit: the issue with heating it fast is you force water to condense on the iron.. so it needs to warm up gradually an stay warm until you spray...

I do this all the time and I've never had water condense on the car, motor or tools. Even the bare steel I have in the garage doesn't get condensation or surface rust on it from rapid heating. And I am likely heating up from a colder temp than most of you. Perhaps the winter air in other areas is more moist than here.