Quote:

I prefer blasting and obviously it all depends on who is doing it,how well they know the equipment,air pressure and angle,but fine media with low pressure and quick passes will not warp anything even in the middle of 1 square mile of sheetmetal.

If he is asking how to remove rust pitts, I bet he doesnt know what's the proper thechnique for blasting a part without damaging it. Nor whats the proper equipment, or safe blasting distance, angle, pressure, kind of media, etc. From what I see on his post I assume he is tackling the job by himslef. I doubt he will be able to fix a wavy panel if he damages it.

There are several ways to tackle a job, and if you get the same results I guess its just a matter of preference or convenience given each particular circumstances.

I know I have removed rust pits like those using a wire brush on a handheld drill, using a dremel too. I have used phosphoric acid based metal wash and then have wire wheeled the pits to get rid of the metal wash residue and then I degrease it with whichever is the reccomended grease removal agent for the paint line Im gonna be using and then I shoot the epoxy primer.

I did this to my Challenger 8 years ago. It had LOTS of those rust pits on the roof because it used to have a vynil top. Rust pits on other places as well.

I have yet to see 1 single blister on it....and we have around 75% humidity here in Lima all year round. I dont keep it on a climate controled garage. I cant see one single spec of rust on it yet.

Blasting is a great way to solve this problem, but there are other ways which dont require much knowledge which will do the job as well. You dont have to buy expensive equipment or make a mess if you dont have a dedicated blasting booth.

You can also dip the doors and E coat them for that matter.

In the end, what we are after is good results, there are several ways to get it done. I know what I said above works, Ive done it myself with good proven results. Ive also blasted with great results and no warpage as well. Ive also messed up some sheetmetal by blasting it....so I prefer not to take chances on the more delicate body panels....but thast just my way of doing things. Its what works for me!

Last edited by domingo; 01/13/10 04:20 PM.