Quote:

Quote:

Has anyone encountered any long term effects of E-85? The new "Flex Fuel" cars mention more maintenance and degrade of the fuel system with the use of E-85 in their owners manuals.

I don't have any experience using any alcohol/ethanol in a race engine. But I have seen several fast alcohol bracket cars, and they run cooler. They also require a much richer air/fuel ratio. I have not heard of anything good from its use in street vehicles and this site backs up some of what I already knew, and offers some more information.

Negative ethanol info.

(Don't mean to turn this into a political thread, just adding to the info pool and people can make their own determinations.)

The link you posted is propaganda, plain and simple. Further I cant see that it has bearing on us hobbyists or racers. You have to understand there is a HUGE difference between E10 gas and E85. Of course E10 gas is going to cause some problems(Esp in newer outboard engines), the typical passenger car fuel system was not designed for E10. E85 is a completely different animal, when your fuel system is right for it.

FWIW, in regards to your statement of a much richer fuel mixture. Sort of a false statement. FWIW, my street car get about 9-10 MPG on gas, about 7 on E85. FWIW, the 9-10 was with a pig rich carb and 3.23 gears. THe 7 is with a decent tune and 4.30s.

To the OP, you need to find better info, say raceon85.com and go from there.

72 RR, Pump gas 440, 452s, 3800 lbs, Corked, ET Radials,. 11.33@117.72. Same car, bone stock 346s, 9.5 comp, baby solid. 12.24@110.