Quote:

Slant sixes don't get good enough mileage to justify their existence. I did a five tank log on my Dart and the best was 21.29 while the worst was 17.40. The average was 19.13. In my opinion, that isn't good enough to live with the total lack of power.

I had an '84 Celica GT-S that got about 29 on a cross country trip at about 75 mph with the AC on full blast and it was faster than my Dart, too. I've gotta have either better mileage or more power than the Toyota with my Mopar. That's why I'm putting a 318 in it. With a small cam and an A-500, I'm betting it will do better than the /6.

And what condition is your slant in? How many miles? Sure, a new or freshened 318 can get better mileage than a tired old slant, but the same overdrive and a rebuilt slant with a few cheap, basic mods like a Super Six 2bbl and good exhaust will get mileage in the 20-25 mpg range.

If the car is a weekend toy, then sure, why not drop in a V-8. Heck, why stop there? Go big block.

But if you're using a car for a daily driver, with gas prices rising AGAIN, then 2-4 mpg makes a big difference to MY wallet.

I realize this is a hot rodder forum, but I don't like my job well enough to need more than 200hp to get there. I drive my toys on the weekend.