I wasn't sure that I had the timing right on my newly rebuilt 400-4bbl for my 73 Charger. So I removed the wires from the cap and removed the distributor again. This time I had someone hold their finger over the #1 to feel for air while I turned the damper to 0 on the timing mark. The piston was at TDC and it was compression for sure. So I looked down at the oil pump driveshaft it was perfectly parallel with the cam and crank. So I proceeded to install the distributor. I aligned the rotor with the #1 on the cap and the slot was perfectly parallel to the slot in the driveshaft so it went it. I then connected the #1 wire to the terminal and proceeded to install the rest of the wires counterclockwise through the firing order. So that's where I stopped. That's as far as the books go for distributor and basic timing installation. My question is now. How is it going to even start if I never adjusted the timing to be at 7.5 degrees BTC like the specs are for the 73 automatic 400-4bbl? Do I leave the damper where it is now on TDC compression? If I were to turn it to about 7.5 degrees before TDC now where should the rotor point? As of right now finding #1 at TDC on compression should that get it started?