Quote:

John,

I'm going through a simular noise issue with my 68 solid lifter hemi. I pulled the valve covers and went through the lifter adjust procedure only to find that they were pretty close to being correct. In the process of cleaning up the valve covers for new gaskets I noticed that the drivers side (the side that had the noise) valve cover had very slight cut marks on the covers made from two of the valve retainers. I decided to make some small dimples in the side of the covers to see if that would make any difference...motor sounds much better now - like a sewing machine on steroids...

Good luck, I hope you find the cause.

Jim
68 Hemi Road Runner

Tim at FHO mentioned that he has seen this before. I took a look at this myself but I can't see any marks on my covers. The mitigating factor hear is cold engine VS operating temp engine. No noise cold, one or two lifters start to get noisy once the temp hits around 170. After that they are always a little noisy and then every once in a while the noisy one will pipe up.

I just borrowed a new set of older Mopar Performance lifter just to compare them to the Comp 822's I'm using. The oil band looks higher up on the mopar lifter and band is thinner. The feed hole looks like its on an angle. There is also no oil hole in the push rod cup in the Mopar lifters.

Last edited by torkrules; 10/18/09 09:31 PM.