So, I had a fit of madness this last Sunday... bought a '53 Customline named 'Nellie'.

You can't see it in the pic, but she has some real rust (pinholes in doors, badly laced around rear fender lips, and a fist-sized hole in the rockers). But the usual places I'd look for rust (floors, botom of trunk opening, spare tire well, trunklid bottom lip) all look REALLY nice. Like the car is only ten years old instead of fifty-plus.

Anybody run into this before? 'Cause I've never run across a car where there was such significant rust (holes, not laced-out metal with bubbled paint) that didn't have some pretty good rust in the floors, trunkld, etc.

Shame about the rust, because the car is otherwise REALLY clean. Interior's nice, everything is original and un-messed with. Hell, she even has the spark plug wires with "Ford" molded in the boots!

If it makes anyone happier, I'm strongly considering putting a set of '54 New Yorker hubcaps on her.

-Bill

5529905-nellie01.jpg (66 downloads)

Seduce the attractive, and charm the rest. ****** 489 C.I.D., roller cam, aftermarket heads, tunnel ram, stock '54 Dodge rear axle assembly: which of these doesn't belong?