I would like to conduct a poll about magnum heads and what folks here on the board have to say and what experiences have occured. I have heard some real stories about magnum heads cracking. Claims that the heads came from the factory already cracked and etc. I kind of wonder if the problem isn't the result of improper installation procedures? for instance, it is known that the "kegger" intake manifold can create problems by leaking, and when folks go to fix the problem they do not pay attention to torque on bolts, bolt tightening sequence etc resulting in cracked heads. overheating seems to be another issue from detonation, seems that the engine can develop a ping that is not noticeable to the average driver until head gaskets come apart and then there is the one service bulletin regarding the "kegger" intake and gasket issues with heat coefficients between intake and head mounting that cause problems. The reason I am curious about this particular bit of urban legend is that I have 4 mangnum engines of different sizes and in various conditions from running to stored parts and I do not recall having any issues with cracked heads. Of course, I understand that there is the possibility that I will eventually come across this situation, but really, how common is it among the literally thousands of magnum engines out there, IF the engine has not been mistreated, improperly serviced or repaired by an inexperienced weekend mechanic with no service manual or other proper tools to do the job? Just for the record a 5.9 magnum engine that had its "beer keg" intake changed out with an M1 early in its life still has no issues with blown head gaskets, oil consumption or cracked heads and it was maintained as required by the factory service manual. So, what is the view point out there? Am I going to have a problem with a 4.7 in a 03 4x4 dodge ram 1500 with 37,000 miles on it in the future or is it pretty much what I figure, maintenance and proper tools/techniques?

AND I will state again for the record, my expertise is in the B and RB engines from way back and A/LA engines are a recent affliction.

By the way, I seem to notice a lot of old B/RB heads that have cracks, might be my age, huh?

Thanks for the view points.

regards,

doc