Quote:

for a Truck I'd build a ported 10:1 pump gas E-head 511 with either the RPM, a street dominator or the indy dual plane, a 950 HP, 4.10 gears, a Comp 251/257 @.050 Hydraulic and a tight 9 1/2" 3200 stall/4000 flash converter. it'll drive around town with all the manners of a sharp tuned but mildly warmed over 440...but it'll feel like that same motor with an unlimeted supply of 175 shot every time you nail it.

But since you have the crank and rods (and if they're good to go) I'd use the same basic combo in a 470 and just knock the cam down to the 241/247XE, in that state it'll be down maybe about 50hp/60lb/ft to the 511 but at ardound 550 or so crank HP it will be a VERY STOUT trouble free daily driver.

This is a basic "best bang for the buck, moderate RPM" combo, perfect for a mid 3 geared B/E or 4.10 geared truck. you want about 280-300cfm @.28" heads and look to get about 265 @.400 for it to really shove you in the back. The mid lifts are where it's at on the street....remember your cam spends a good bit of it's useable duration between that 1/3 and 2/3 open window....and in a non roller type app you're not hanging the valve open over the nose so the peak lift flow just isn't as critical.

A 511 is about 10% (close to another cylinder's worth) larger so the end results will be roughly proportional, 470's with big solids and GOOD valvetrain can spin high enough to make 700hp and more easy when they have enough head, compression and cam.

Run a BIG radiator and an aux cooler on the tranny and you're all set.

I only have the block. I have never built a engine yet but plan to in the near future. My buddy will assist me in the process so no F$%k ups. I have a 383 that he owned. He bought the shortblock and its est at 510hp. He ran it in a 76 Fury with 4:10s and was in the low 12s IIRC with a single carb. He than went tunnelram and duels. Its going to be in another truck with 4:30s and a full spool.