Quote:

The problem with a 425hp big block is a 350hp smallblock will kill it. 425hp isn't a challenge(unless you want lots of idle vaccum). The factory MP 435 hp crate motor is a simple template for you to follow. I'm not crazy about the 318 block builds,just find a decent 360 block and be done with it. You don't need the 4" crank but if you insist on a street converter it would make for a quicker ride. If I was starting from scratch, a 360 magnum or pre mag hyd roller block,hyd roller cam [Email]240ish@.050[/Email] on both sides 108lsa,.530-.560 lift,10 to 1 compression,edelbrock magnum heads,rpm airgap 750dp 1 3/4" headers. Very easy to make a fun but mild street car.

That way you'd be able to grow into more power later if you want.

Really, all you need is a 360 with box stock Edelbrock Magnum heads and a 4" crank to start talking about 400 hp. and good torque. No need to worry about forged pistons or non stock rods... but if you want to grow, it'd be smart to spend more here now.

My setup is a 360 Mag. bored .030 over with forged pistons, H beam rods, Eagle 4" crank, ported Edelbrocks, M1 intake, custom tune on my 750 Proform carb, custom ground cam, .600 lift, Scorpion rockers.... just pulled 500 hp on the dyno last week. Build cost from carb to oil pan was about $9,000 or so which includes the $500 dyno session.

Yeah, that is pricey, but you don't have to do all that. You could skip the port on the heads, the rockers, the forged pistons and H beam rods, the custom carb tune, and the dyno and save yourself $3,500 easy, if not more. I bet you could build a healthy mild 408 for $5,000. When you want to make more power, the first place you'd start is the heads. If you spring for the forged pistons/rods, moving up later could be done while the motor is still in the car.