Quote:

Quote:

distributor drive gear location doesn't matter so long as the distributor vacuum advance has room to allow movement for proper timing setting...

Hers must have been severely worn, or maybe she fixed another problem inadvertently when she replaced it...

it does and it doesn't, depending on where you put the plug wires. if the DD gear is off (not pointing to #1 at TDC of #1), but you put the plug wires in the same orientation as usually shown, it will show odd advance numbers, because the rotor isn't synced up with the mark on the balancer. if you orient the plug wires so that at TDC of #1, the #1 plug wire is over the dizzy rotor, things will look OK relative to the timing mark on the balancer.

You should be a politician. The "simple" way to say this is, that it "will be out of time" if the wires are in the wrong hole.

The ONLY REASONS that any factory manual specifies a certain way to install a dist. are:

So the assembly line folks can wrench, repeat

So the vac. advance sits OK

So the plug wires "lay" right

So a tuneup mech. sees what he expects to see.

There ARE a few engines that matter. One series are the GM V6's. On some of these engines, the dist. towers are "paired" two towers closer together, then a wide space, so if you get the wires off just one hole, it just won't run right.

When I got my first car, a 57 Chev 265, I didn't know there was a "right" way. I used to just drop the dist in and go.