About two years back, the clutch packs became damaged and ended up leaving a ton of metal flakes in the gear lube (8 3/4, 742 carrier, locker). Initially, I had a shop set up the rear end and after it happened, I went to a different place to get it fixed. Back then, it had lasted a year, almost to the date. The car had only a dozen passes (67 Coronet, 470, 727, 3.91, MT radials) and I can't believe they have gone bad AGAIN.

The first shop I had it done at was probably not the best route to go, but as far as where I got it 'fixed', they DEFINITELY knew what they were doing. It has been a year AGAIN, almost to the date, and again about a dozen passes this year. I once again have metal flake in the gear lube and I'll bet a brand new Ben Franklin I know what it is.

Soooo... the question is this. I do not want this to happen again so what can be done to prevent it? Is there a way to 'beef' it up or install 'stronger' parts? I have no idea how to repair these and will have to take it to a different shop to get it fixed.

I thank you for your input. Dave