Hey all! Yet another question for eveyone here! So I recently bought a 1970 4 speed for the Duster, got it home and realized that one of the ears was broken off!!

My question is: What should I do about this? Should I get it welded, get a new iron case, or get the O.D. aluminum case that the seller offered me?

My thoughts first off were that I would take the aluminum case. I know it is weaker than iron, and I would have to get a different front bearing and retainer size. Is that all I would have to do?? No machining or anything to make it all fit??

Next I was thinking get the iron case welded so I wouldn't have to go through the trouble of swapping cases (though I want to rebuild it anyway lol), but I don't know if it will hold up cuz I know how difficult it is to make a weld on castings strong. My gut tells me that I shouldn't go this route.

Finally I was thinking about getting a new iron case from Brewer's and get the rebuild kit at the same time. I kinda like the idea of the stronger case.

Anyways, with all this in mind, let me know what you all think! Thank you!!

I will post pictures if needed sometime tonight when I get out of work!

knyech1- '71 Sassy Grass Demon 340/904. Pump gas, 1.61 60ft, 7.439 1/8 @ 95mph, 11.824 1/4 @ 111mph "Not too bad for a pump gas 340, full of used parts and hillbilly ported stock heads." - V.B. '03 2500 5.9L HO 6-spd on 35's. 395hp/755ft-lb at tires.