Quote:

I am thinking it's pretty solid that I have the wrong NSS switch in there, because I've seen the inside of the transmission (and thus the shift lever) when I was reconditioning it. Since the only real difference between 69+ NSS is 1- or 3-pin and thus the part that touches the switch (rooster comb seems to be the same), I really think it's the switch. How would I go about re-routing the reverse light circuit? It seems easier to get a 1-pin NSS switch and reroute the reverse light circuit than to replace the shift lever and valve body.

Some members (myself included) are a bit confused how such a late transmission could have an early roostercomb. You know more about the ancestry of the transmission, have seen the innards for yourself, and seem to buy onto the "wrong comb" theory, even without testing with an ohm meter. So be it.

Assuming that your problem is a comb/NSS mismatch (as I said - a leap for some of us), the task at hand is to match the NSS and car wiring to the comb, or the comb to the NSS and car wiring. I think I join the majority here in thinking that the latter is the easier path. Your idea to search out a single pin switch leaves you needing a whole 'nother set-up to get your reverse lights working. In a column-shifted automatic, this was done with a switch near the bottom of the steering column. And it is not just a switch and some wires - there needs to be a matching pin-like thing on the shifter linkage to engage the switch. The sarcastic side of me wants to recommend you seek out a "1968 Demon" to gather your needed parts...

I would urge you to confirm your problem first. THEN, if it really is a comb/switch mismatch, reconsider going the comb changing route.