Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I will tell you that if the engien wants to run at say 190 niether stat will stop it. It will run the temp it wants to run if that temp is above the stat rating.

If I understand what you are saying, I disagree. So long as there is an adequate radiator and flow, the thermostat should keep the temperature below what the "engine wants". Kim

Well you are wrong. The stat CANNOT control the temperature above its rating. The stat is in the system to maintain a cooling temperature no lower than the rating and to help the engine reach that temperature sooner than teh enign e would reach it with full circulation but if your enfine wants to run 200 degrees it will - even if you have a 160 stat in it.

Of course a thermostat controls the top temperature. As I said, so long as there is an adequate radiator and flow, then the thermostat modulates to keep the temperature around its rating -- not higher. An engine would want to run several hundreds of degrees but for the cooling system and the thermostat. The modulation of the thermostat coupled with adequate flow and radiator keep the engine around its most efficient temp.

Assume you take the thermostat out. The temperature drops considerably, to the point of the heater not working. The temperature that is dropping is the top temperature.

I think where the confusion comes from is you're statement of "It will run the temp it wants to run if that temp is above the stat rating" when you actually mean that if it has an inadequate cooling system, a thermostat cannot make it run cooler. Kim