Originally Posted by A727Tflite
Originally Posted by TJP
Originally Posted by A727Tflite
[

Once your u-bolts are tight the pin does nothing more than position the axle.

Grade 8 bolts are more than adequate. Find something where the head is as close to the perch hole diameter as possible and either push the axle forward or back against the pin before tightening the u bolts.

I'm going to politely disagree with the bolded part frown If one has enough motor and traction that pin is going to do more than locate the axle IMO. I'd suggest longer pins with heads of the correct diameter. If the pin portion is too short have spacers made to raise the pins a bit.

One can measure the clamped spring thickness, add what's needed for the nut and lock washer (more is better wink ) and visit your local spring shop. if they don't have longer pins, space them up.

Just an FYI: placing two good sized c-clamps on opposing sides of the pin makes changing the pin quite easy twocents beer

My statement wasn’t an opinion.

I have seen quite a few rear suspensions in heavy, fast SS cars back in the day with oversized holes in the shock plates. Never been an issue. The u-bolt takes all the separation load. The alignment pin is in shear, which is minimal as long as the u-bolts remain tight. You will never break the pin.

I didn't say it was an opinion, just that I disagreed with it and still do. I've seen many things done that people thought were OK and later found out different. That is a STATEMENT!! My previous comment was MY OPINION beer