Does anyone here collect or restore parking meters? Last year I picked up a Duncan Miller model 50. (I think) It was cheap so why not right? It should make a cool addition to my traffic lights and road signs I'm decorating my new garage with. To free up floor space I think I'll make a wall mount for it. With the research I've done so far, it looks like this style meter was made from the mid 30s to late 50s. I'm thinking this is a 50s model but not sure if there are any date codes anywhere. Someone has definitely been inside of it before me. The rear coin door was glued in place and it looks like someone tried drilling a hole in the top. The two "Time Expired" flags inside look like they've been badly repainted. The exterior was cheaply sprayed with a goldish paint but from the look of the inside, it was originally gray. They even painted over the two clear inspection windows.

The reason for the post is that only one of the internal flags is working. The other one doesn't move and I can't figure out how it is supposed to move. It could very well be that someone assembled it wrong since I'm not the first person to have it apart. There are a few Model 60 restoration videos on Youtube but nothing about the Model 50 that I've seen yet. At least nothing showing the inner workings of the mechanism. I can put a nickel in the slot and the meter works but like I said, only 1 of the "Expired" flags moves. I'd like to see how it's all supposed to work inside.

meter.jpg
Last edited by burdar; 03/20/24 01:56 PM.