Hi Guys,

I'm helping my father with his drag car. I know it's Brand X, but the question is still relevant. The car combo is a 4link, '66 Chevy II with a Heidt's coil-over front end. It currently sits on 31x14 tires with a 'glide and a 5.14 gear, approximately 2500lbs. I have a line on a very fresh 312" sbc comp engine. It was built and maintained by a very well known and successful Comp Eliminator racer. It is a 13 degree head combo. We were originally going with a 393" combo which is a high-winder but nothing like this 312. Other than going to a deeper rear gear, I'm looking for some advice on converter shops to key on for a foot-brake combo like this. I've done tons of reading and opinions on the net are like belly buttons on who is good, bad, or up and down. The rpm range of the engine will be about 8k-9800rpm. I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet, because I'm not convinced its a better option for us than a 393 combo with 15 degree heads. What is making me even consider it is the price. I understand the level of maintenance to be expected, what we were already planning on was going to be a heavy-effort combo too. I just wonder how the reduced torque in the smaller engine will narrow or widen the window to perfect the way the suspension works. I would think the reduced torque would soften it up, but only if the converter is spot-on.

Thanks