Originally Posted by Dart 500
Originally Posted by Remy-Z
Originally Posted by Dart 500
The 4 door really could have been called Coronet this time around

Show me anyone 40 years old or under who would really understand the significance of the "Coronet" name. Go ahead. I'll wait. It's a dead name. Same as any other option: Diplomat, Intrepid, Monaco, Stratus, Spirit. Stunning how I've heard the crying about a four-door Charger for nearly 20 years now. Get over it. They made one that was a Cordoba with a different set of taillights and another that tried to butch up an Omni. But those are somehow better because they are two-door?

Because it looks like a 73 coronet from the side lol, only reason. And they drug back Dart, so a lot of your argument is moot. Use an old name a few people still remember or spend a few hundred million on telling everyone about a new name. Its the only reason they called the 4dr a charger back in 2005, it had strong name recognition in focus groups. The car was supposed to be called Interceptor, Dart was to be called Aria

Dragging back old names with historical relevance (Charger, Challenger, Dart) was meant to hook onto the retro muscle trend that swept through in the early-to-mid 2000s. See also: Pontiac GTO, everything about the Mustang from 2005-forward, the fact that we almost got a coupe-utility out of GM before Pontiac was shot between the eyes. That's just marketing.

If you're seeing a 1973 Coronet from the 2025 Charger, I don't know how.

The argument of Coronet v. Charger is this: if you are going to dredge the past to name a new model, there had better be a positive response to the use. Charger fit the bill in 2005 because it was the return of V8 power in a rear-drive chassis. Dart could've been a great compact with performance potential (think AWD SRT-4 replacement). Coronet is best remembered as a taxicab that was used until it was dead before it was replaced by a Crown Victoria. It was the basic model. The forgotten one. That'd be like calling the next smaller Ford CUV the Tempo, or Chevrolet's upcoming Maverick-fighter, the Biscayne.