I decided I'll play it safe and yank the motor out of there, tear it down, make sure that everything is really clean inside including the oil galleries. Give it a quick hone and some new rings, for sure polishe the crank and do rod bearings. I'll take a look at the main bearings while I'm at it. This motor is a little bit more time-consuming than most. Because there is an adapter on the back of it for the block to bell housing interface and that is extra fiddling around when taking the motor out and in, then it has a main stud girdle which is always in the way when trying to get the rod bolts torqued with an angle gauge. And the copper head gaskets don't fit right so I have to file on them and do a bunch of fiddling around. I need to go over to Clark Copper head gaskets and have them fix their pattern. I hand ground extra radial clearance in the valve reliefs in the pistons with a Dremel tool. I suppose while it's a part, I should put the pistons in the mill and use a fly cutter to precisely equalize each piston valve relief. Time will fly by.

My son Cam and I are working on a land speed car for Bonneville, trying to make it to speed week this August. And we have a ton of work to do on that. I'll just have to manage my time in the shop really well.

Thanks for all the replies!