Originally Posted by 360view
https://www.arcamax.com/business/businessnews/s-3071586

sample quote

For now, the automaker is on track with EV goals, CEO Carlos Tavares said, including finally entering the all-electric market in the Unites States. Stellantis' U.S. sales fell 1% last year, as competitors reported increases. But Tavares said pricing only will come down to the degree that the automaker can reduce its costs. As Tesla Inc. slashes pricing on its electric vehicles, Tavares says he's unwilling to jeopardize profitability, because EVs are 40% more expensive than their gas-powered counterparts and the automaker needs to invest in better technologies and efficiencies to survive the transition.

"If you just go and cut pricing, this regarding the reality of your cost situation, it's a race to the bottom, and a race to the bottom will end up with a bloodbath," Tavares said during a virtual presentation. "And that's exactly what I'm trying to avoid."

end quote

My guess is that Tavares has been told European governments will not allow a company with his number of employees to go bankrupt.

On the other hand Tesla could go bankrupt.

I might have to break almost 7 years of sobriety and not drinking if that happened up