Originally Posted by Dodger440
Thanks for all the replies! I have my scan tool in the truck so I can try to view live data the next time it happens. I also have my fuel pressure tester, but i can't really drive with that hooked up and be able to watch it. The problem is most of the time it fixes itself quickly so I don't have a lot of time to see whats happening. I will post an update when I have more information or find the problem.

Previous Ram owners who have had this problem have commented about all the “jury rigging” involved in hooking up a pressure gauge that finally pinpoints the problem.

The engine dies suddenly - and I certainly thought it was a bad wire connection or electrical component that only misbehaved when hot or vibrating.

I had a Mopar Performance PCM which I swapped in but that did not fix it.

Cavitation at the pump suction sock filter depends on fuel flow, fuel temperature, and also altitude/air pressure.
The first time it happened to my Ram I was climbing a steep hill in the Smokey Mountains in hot weather.

My ScanTool OBD-I scanner gave me all kinds of engine data such as fuel injector duty cycle, voltages and so forth but was ultimately no help.

When I finally changed out the fuel pump assembly I was alone in Florida outside during Tropical Storm Ernesto during 40 mph wind gusts, with the Cargo box tilted.

Biggest problem was getting the “Rollover Valve” off the old pump assembly which took a couple hours and detailed grinding with a Dremel Tool.
I would recommend a new pump assembly that has a new roll over valve already attached.