Thanks again Neil.
I got some Evapo-Rust from the parts store for descaling the individual parts and will order in some Thermocure. I'm glad to read that the chemicals are harmless for all metals, aluminum, copper, brass.

Originally Posted by TJP
Originally Posted by Neil
Evaporust makes a rust/scale remover product designed to pour in and use in place of coolant and then flush out later. Most people seem to like it when you read about in online.

https://www.evapo-rust.com/thermocure-cooling-system-radiator-rust-remover/

They talk about rust and scale but no mention of mineral deposits or am I missing something ? not trying to be an a-- just trying to clarify for the OP up beer

TJP. ... 'scale' is a mineral deposit.. up .. In my case it's a blue/green crunchy crud built up on my aluminum parts.

Originally Posted by 6PakBee
The glycol in anti-freeze never wears out unless it's been overheated. The corrosion inhibitors simply go away with time. With the price of anti-freeze being what it is, I'm starting to drain it every five years or so, filter it, and add this schmoo or something similar.

Cooling Sytem Corrosion Inhibitor

up yes, it seems the inhibitors decay and that leaves the ethylene glycol at risk of reacting with the metals.. if you leave the coolant in your engine too many years..
Here is the article I found describing how 'uninhibited ethylene glycol' in a cooling systems can degrade and contribute to corrosion and scaling..
https://www.boydcorp.com/blog/avoiding-galvanic-corrosion.html

I have to track and refresh my coolants more often.
Cheers,
- Art

Last edited by 67SATisfaction; 12/24/23 03:59 PM.

65 Satellite hardtop 361/4bbl console 727 2.76
67 Satellite convert 383/2bbl column 727 3.23
67 Lancia Fulvia Sport 1.3 Zagato. Alloy body, 1.3L V4 DOHC 4-spd
67 Lancia Fulvia Rallye 1.3. Alloy panel, 1.3L V4 DOHC 4-spd
71 Alfa Romeo GT Junior 1300 Zagato, 1.3L 4cyl DOHC hemi 5-spd
82 Alfa Romeo GTV6 2.5L SOHC hemi V6 5-spd transaxle
75 Maserati Bora US spec 4.9L DOHC hemi V8 5-spd ZF
77 Maserati Khamsin Euro spec 4.9L DOHC hemi V8 5-spd ZF
07 Aston Martin DB9 6.0L DOHC V12 6spd transaxle