About 45 days ago, a customer comes in with a fresh rebuilt 426 Hemi that’s been sitting for 2 years. After hooking up to the dyno, pre oil, fuel, and water. We get ready to start it, on its 1st rotation there is a loud snap. So off come the valve covers and we find a broken adjuster. The geometry is awful, maybe worse than awful. The adjusters are out about 8 or 9 threads, pushrods are aimed at the shafts, everything is in a bind. The customer bought the engine in Minnesota and now doesn’t trust the builder, so he’s not going to send it back.

Ok, even though I don’t work on other people’s engines, I tell him I will help him out and fix it. After fixing the geometry, getting longer pushrods, degreeing in the cam. I go to put everything together, and one of the brand “new” comp cams hydraulic roller lifters is missing the spring inside the lifter!!! So I go to order one set, and they are backordered until the end of Jan (maybe). I can’t even find a used lifter to take the spring out. Now this engine is going to sit in the shop.
This is what I get for being a nice guy, it bites me in my behind every time.
Rant over/

Joe

Without Data, you’re just another guy with an opinion.