Originally Posted by Moparite
Wonder how history would have turned out if the ball stud hemi ever made it to production?

I find this more interesting as time goes on. So I have learned, The Hemi head was superior on the dragstrip and oval but EXPENSIVE impractical overkill for a passenger car engine. The wedge head was a fantastic passenger car engine and great hot street performer- but didn't have potential to dominate racing. Along comes the Ball Stud Hemi. Canted valves though not better than the Hemi head design when going for all out racing were still very VERY good. So- not better than a hemi head BUT better than the inline c
valve wedge head. But the big bonus for Chrysler was the Ball stud used stamped steel rocker arms mounted on a rocker arm stud. Supe super inexpensive to make and reliable. Many aftermarket companies offer a Girdle for rocker arm stability when the RPMs and spring pressures begin to show the stud mount designs limitations. But the Mopars version of a 396 Chevy had a deep skirt B block that is incredibly strong where as the chevy has the crankshaft well below the oil pan mount surface. What could have been. I grew up having a confrontational rivalry with chevy guys- they were all arrogant, hated mopars and were loud mouthed. But The BBC is a force to be reckoned with- at least when it comes to building the engine into the big power High RPM stages. Tons of affordable aftermarket support to remedy any issues that arise during this journey and I imagine this rang true all the way back to the late 60s early 70s as well.

Keep old mopars alive.