Mandating electric cars means turning over the automobile industry to China.
end quote

I would say “Mandating electric cars too quickly will benefit mainland China”.

Wall Street Journal front page article that says that there is a USA coal mine that contains a rock layer that holds a huge deposit of rare earth metals needed for EV DC motors. For decades rare earth metals were mined at Mountain Pass CA.

It was recently announced that an extinct USA volcano caldera contains a huge deposit of lithium.

I have known for a couple decades that a Volcano that used to exist near the seacoast VA/NC border 306 million years ago deposited a layer of ash that contains a deposit of rare earth metals. Geologists guess the Volcano was there because the ash layer is 9 feet thick there, but tapers down to 6 to 9 inches in KY and WVa.
For a long time I wrongly thought: where out west was the Volcano because generally winds blow west to east across the USA?

Thing is- 306 million years ago North America was in the Pacific Ocean a few hundred miles west off the coast of where Ecuador is today. Continents get dragged from place to place. Go figure.

In the 1990s I bought samples of all the pure rare earth metals, reacted them with enriched Carbon-13, and tested the carbide made for ionic conductivity.
I confess to being “as hard headed as a carbide bit.”
In the 1970s I would rush up and touch worn tungsten carbide tipped mining bits with “Tempilstick crayons” deep in British coal mines to measure their temperatures just after cutting rock without using electricity. I later heated them in a lab to high temperatures and turned them on a lathe against sandstone rock wheels to find out how much more quickly they wore down.

The USA has the minerals to make lithium EV batteries and rare earth DC permanent magnet rotor motors - if USA miners are allowed to mine and process them.

It is 50/50 this will not be allowed.