I can see where someone would feel that the TPMS can be a bigger pain than they are worth. BUT! Over the years, they have saved me 3 tires so far that have lost air on the road. We always carry a 12v air pump and have gotten home with the tires rather than having them be run too low too long and ruined. Modern radials will not tolerate low tire pressure at highway speed for very long at all. The TPMS can give enough warning to be able to stop in time to save the tire.

For the average car guy, there is enough information and affordable aftermarket support to justify keeping the system in place. Saving just one tire's cost, let alone the potential inconvenience is worth the effort. The batteries in the sensors typically last 7 to 9 years. If a guy can/will do it at home, the cost for a set of new sensors is $25 aftermarket or $45 for Mopar ones if you would rather. A scan tool may not even be necessary, but are available for less than $30 and are easy to use. $25 to $75 every 7 years or so is too much? You cannot buy a single tire for that.

But I also understand that there are a large number of people who cannot handle even this minor maintenance item and therefore it can become a substantial expense.

Changing TPMS sensors is really no more difficult than changing the oil on modern cars and doesn't require any more money for the tools to do it.

To each his own.

Master, again and still