I met Bob several times, the last time was when he was crew-chiefing for Larry Morgan, super cool guy and he seemed very amiable and humble and loved being focused on the task at hand.

His work ethic was so evident in his hand shake and his demeanor and he was living proof that hard work pays off. He used to build his engines on the floor and I would love to see a display of all of his many cylinder head and intake manifold innovations.

What amazes me today is the technology of Todays CHI Cleveland head (that anyone can now buy off the shelf) incorporates many of the port innovations (and beyond) that Glidden first envisioned back in the 70's.
He spent 100's of hours brazing and epoxy filling factory heads and manifolds trying to achieve those same types of innovations. He understood port shape, velocity and Air/Fuel MASS allowed the cylinders to trap and burn more mixture and achieve much higher VE than his competitors.

if you want to see something related and interesting watch the youtube channel "driving 4 answers' regarding offset bore cylinders, it looks in depth on how the effective intake stroke increases by several degrees and the compression stroke shortens by several degrees. Kawasaki and other manufacturers have already incorporated it into several of their in-line engines. This means you could effectively fill the cylinder more with less total cam duration and there is somewhat more of the natural "level effect" from the crank on the power stroke, and you can imagine the turbo supercharging possibilities.

The downside is that it upsets the natural primary and secondary counter-balance and the natural maximum stroke of the crank (mechanical stroke) the isn't fully realized.

it's just interesting

Last edited by Streetwize; 10/04/23 01:57 PM.

WIZE

World's Quickest Diahatsu Rocky (??) 414" Stroker Small block Mopar Powered. 10.84 @ 123...and gettin' quicker!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mWzLma3YGI

In Car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjXcf95e6v0