I dunno, the metrics listed for the new tank seem hard to balance.

Better economy, probably a hybrid. Ok, what will the weight of the power train system be? more or less? Probably more with the added electrical generation and storage. Probably going to cut into fuel storage as well.

Silent running in electrical mode? Yeah, treads aren't quiet and has a unique sound that screams "tank" on the battle field. I imagine they don't clank around like a Sherman tank, but the Pattons I am more familiar with aren't exactly stealthy sound wise. Yeah, the Corps was still using Pattons when I was in.

Less weight? Hmm, that must mean less armor, less ammo, less something because the power train isn't going on a diet. Bet they cut the manning numbers forgetting that tanks need regular maintenance and the bodies to do it.

Better protection, well how is that going to happen with the less weight/better economy desires? There is a limit to how cleverly you can sculpt the body to deflect blasts and such. Last I looked we were already using the best armor available and I haven't heard of any magic elvish armor that is less heavy and protects better?

Who knows, the article is seriously short on any details.

Maybe they will be drone tanks, remotely controlled.