Gents, need some help determining problem with van overheating. 2011 Touring L, V6. Replaced thermostat at end of May this year at 150K miles.

Since then it has been randomly using some water/antifreeze, but not overheating. My wife has kept water in it, filling up before any trips.

A couple days ago, it overheated, engine light came on, temp light came on, while wife was driving. She wasn't far from home and drove it home. Radiator was empty. P0117 code. Outside temp was in the 90's and very humid.

I filled it up today with water. Outside Temp is currently 82. I could not detect any leaks. I let it fun a few minutes in the driveway, ran it up and down the driveway and no issue. I checked the oil and it look good, no milky residue. I took it on the road and made it about 2 miles and the a/c shutoff and it the temperature gauge pegged. I turned it around and drove home. I could hear the water boiling in the radiator, the top hose was hot.

As of this writing the van has set for 15 minutes or so and there are no leaks on the ground or visible on the engine. Could this be a water pump or bad head gasket? I saw the ect as a potential issue, is this typically the culprit?

Thanks!

God Bless America, Our Troops and Their Families !

DEO VINDICE