Originally Posted by HotRodDave
Originally Posted by John Brown
Originally Posted by JohnRR
Originally Posted by Streetwize

But if I was using an LY or similar oem rod with a 1.09 pressed pin, i would definitely do the old Landy trick and whack 1/2" off the pin and save about 50 grams per slug. you're gonna have to re-balance anyway so why not take out weight instead of add it back?

Something like that never even crossed my mind ... now I'm going to have to take the 383 that Dan did for me apart ...

Have to use Delrin plugs or the like to keep the pins where they belong after shortening the pins?

The more modern solution would be to get some thin wall pins that match your pistons required length. Too short of a pin puts too much load and stress on a part of the piston it is not designed to take.

Any part of the pin sticking out past the pin tier adds virtually nothing to pin or piston durability. Thin pins actually put more load in to the pin tiers. New pistons designed for thin pins are reinforced in this area. Taking a production piston and installing thin pins in will eventually crack the pin tiers. Only a matter of time and cycles.