Quote:

I think the minor variations seen from car to car easily fall into production variances, another possilbity it the holes are punched prior to the door skin being attached to the door shell, if the flanges shift 1/4" the flange crimper won't stop.. A measurement from the door handle pocket to the holes might be revealing...

I just checked six different doors (Aug 69 Hamtramck, Apr 70 St. Louis (roadrunner), June 70 Hamtramck, ?? 71 Hamtramck) and on all of them, the door skin wraps around the door 1/2 inch front and rear. From what I've seen the door skins seem to have been put on pretty consistantly. I agree it's possible the factory may have had some slip ups, but I think they would be the exception rather than the rule.

I also don't think the mirror holes were pre-drilled in the door skins (at least not on the passenger side) because the mirror was optional.

Production variances are still a possibility. 1/8th is very reasonable, 1/4 variation might be acceptable I think. The 1 5/16 variation reported on 70 challenger passenger mirrors (Classof70Chally vs. jrwoodjoe) seems too much, especially when 70 'cuda measurements are all consistantly the same. IF production variations exist we should be able to see them after collecting some more data.

If you have access to any E body mirrors located in their original factory location, could you please post measurements Randy? (particularly 70 challenger passenger side, I know you like cars with lots of options, as do I)

Tav