As I research Mopar engines more and more, I find myself questioning the 4.7HO for my 56 Dodge pickup build, and considering a tuned 360 with EFI, headers, Magnaflo exhaust, electronic ignition, some form of tunable engine management, and hopefully connected to a 545RFE trans with my 3:55 limited slip 9.25" rear axle. The 360 makes a lot more torque down lower in the revs where I prefer to drive, and the tuning options are far greater than the 4.7HO. What about daily driving, year round, what is reasonable for fuel mileage? With the 545RFE or perhaps even the 66RFE, the overdrive is either .67 for the 545RFE or .62 for the 66RFE, on highway speed at 75 would be spinning the engine around 2,000 rpm. At that speed a tuned 360 makes around 375 ft-lb of torque, about 100 ft-lb MORE than the 4.7HO can hope to make.

That kind of difference, to me, says the tuned 360 would be better at those highway speeds/engine RPM and better on fuel. Plus with that kind of torque available from 2,000 rpm up to and past 3,500 rpm the engine could easily take the load and not have the tranny hunting for lower gears. Am I right? Does the 545RFE maout up tot he 360? Oh, and the 360 under hood is a much better looking engine, especially with MOPAR MAGNUM valve covers.

My 56 C3-B8 Dakota build