I have a 96, 318 Dakota 4wd. Been a fantastic truck though the body is sure going to Hell. I've had it coming up on 8 years.

I don't drive it much anymore but the proverbial dump run, when I have to go mowing, and occasionally to work (70 miles round trip) I drive the shyt out of it daily in the winter, though.
Got it with a dead trans at 170k, I rebuilt it and it's been fine til yesterday. Now has 248k. I thought I'd noticed some weirdness the last couple of times I drove it off my driveway, but definitely yesterday on way home from work.
The past couple of weeks I have just used it to pull a utility trailer in n out of my garage and over to the other side of my 2 car wide driveway so I can get to my lift when needed. (Trailers full of stuff that would be even more inconvenient for me to unload at the moment, nother story) easier to leave what I have on the trailer "on wheels" so i can move outta the way when needed.
My 12 has a bed load at the moment as well, got home late and it was easier to jump in the 96 and head to work instead.

Anyway back to my issue. It is winding out when it shifts, and hitting a little hard. Even if I lift my foot off the gas it won't shift til 2800-3000. In town cruising about 35, instead of hitting 3rd it'll scream along in 2nd if I don't let it hit 3000 rpm. It will hit all 4, and OD does seem to work at the speeds it normally does, BUT no matter how easy I am on the throttle it won't upshift until 3000 from 1-2 and 2-3. I don't seem to have to wind it out that far to get 4th, which has been hitting hard more often than not even before the delayed shifts started. Which was for the most part on the way home from work, and it did it every time I had to stop and take off again.
The fluid looks as red as does fresh fluid off the shelf, and is full. I can't say how long since I've had to add fluid probably last summer some time even though pan is continually wet/ damp, even though I clean it off every oil change. It's not leaking bad enough to leave spots in the driveway.
There is no check engine light, which I would expect being as how this truck is OBD2.

I'm thinking (hoping) this is no more serious than a governor solenoid what does the moparts trans guru crowd think? I don't think I'm gonna drop it and overhaul it again at this point, if that's the case this truck may unfortunately be done again because of the body condition.

Last edited by volaredon; 06/15/23 01:23 PM.