Originally Posted by cudaman1969
Originally Posted by markz528
Originally Posted by PhillyRag
Originally Posted by moparx
i have a mandrel that fits a lathe, having a register the exact size of the axle/hub factory register. it is also the diameter [actually a little larger] of the hub/axle the wheel bolts to, so that the drum [or rotor] being turned is retained as it would be with the wheel bolted to it.
as a machinist, i feel this gives a better result than the parts store "cone shaped" locating device that just picks up the center hole of the drum/rotor being turned.
i also use a much larger cutting tool, which not only gives a much better surface finish, [being a substantially more rigid tool] it also doesn't "bounce around" like the tiny [in my opinion] cutting tools used with the parts store machines, thus giving a much truer diameter to the finished drum and a much flatter surface to the finished rotor.
beer

Who else here doesn't have such a lathe setup?

You don't know what you are missing?

How about a cnc mill? Even better!

Agree, I find something new to do on both the lathe and end mill almost everyday! I took your advise and now setting up a front wheel hub to cut my drums

i know most do not have this type of equipment at home, but being a machinist and fabricator by trade, once retirement hits, one usually wants to continue with his trade. this almost dictates one to purchase, or have access to, equipment he has "played with" over the course of his working career.
this is similar to guys who have woodworking equipment in their home shop. the only difference is the "chips produced" are metal instead of wood. the one advantage here, is if a mistake is made, metal can be "added" and the mistake repaired by welding then re-doing the item in question.
whereas i haven't found a "wood rod or wire" that could be used on any of my welding machines. biggrin
beer