Originally Posted by poorboy
I couldn't listen to the conversation over the guy's phone about 1/2 way through, did he ever get what ever answer he was looking for from the guy he bought it from?

Seems to me looking at it after the fact is on him, the buyer, not the seller. Sure what the seller did may not have been honest (he may not have known), but that is the world in which we live. It is up to the buyer to determine if he wants to spend his money.

To me, it appeared as though the buyer had already driven the car a few miles before he decided to look at it. Either driving it those few miles alerted him that something wasn't right or he just thought he should check for something that might cause a problem on the road isn't clear. I suspect the drive didn't set off any questions, he just thought maybe he should look to see if anything was going to cause a problem.

I have no concept as to what 5,000 Kilometers compares to in miles, so the distance from home this guy is has no bearing in my mind.

With that said, having spent 28 years under rusty cars repairing things like body and suspension mounts, I suspect what this guy saw by looking under the car (and showed in the pictures), he probably didn't notice while driving. If he didn't notice it while driving, it will probably survive the 5,000 kilometer drive without issues. The fact is, it may have been like that for years. There are a lot of vehicles on the road with a couple faulty body mounts, more then you might imagine! Over time, they will stress the remaining body mounts and that will eventually cause problems. Most vehicles usually give you notice before something bad happens if you are paying attention. I notice things like that, but many don't.

Some of the old cars used those center body mounts more like a bump stop/ weight support rather then something to hold the body on the frame. It those cases, many of the rubber pieces failed and fell off over time. If that body mount was not bolted to the floor pan, it would have been for extra weight support. One or two people riding in the car would not have needed those extra weight supports.

Driving the car home with a couple bad body mounts would be a personal choice. At this point I would certainly look at the remaining body mounts, and determine their condition, and base any driving on the condition of the remaining body mounts, and not be too concerned with those that are missing until I got the car home and fixed them (and all the others). If I could feel the missing mounts while driving it would be time to call someone and have it hauled home. If I couldn't feel the missing body mounts, I'd probably drive it home, but would not take any side trips.

I have no idea what he thought he was going to accomplish by calling the guy that sold the car to him. .

5000 kilometers is 3106.856 miles.

Kevin