Originally Posted by DaveRS23
It is an inner cone on the axle that binds into the outer housing of the same shape that makes it a Sure-Grip. When the cone wears enough, it 'bottoms out' preventing the 2 surfaces from being able to 'bind' into each other so it only puts power to one wheel at a time.

I have bought a dozen or so over the years for next to nothing. Just take the smaller end of the cone down about .100" so that it not longer 'bottoms out' and it will hold again. You are supposed to shim the axle or something, but I never have and have never had a problem. They are not at all as good as the clutch pack type, but for a street car with street tires, they work fine given the limited mileage we typically put on them now a days.

twocents

You left out the important part ... the cone wears AND deposits tiny metal particles in the oil which which gets run thru the bearings and gearset putting little pits into the polished surfaces.

Cone types are total garbage , if you get enough metal in the oil and run it as a single track doing burnouts long enough the spiders will seize on their shaft, when this happens the shaft breaks the dowel pin that keeps it from spinning and then wallows out the cone case , now it's really junk.

running up my post count some more .