Originally Posted by 360view
Originally Posted by moparx
i don't know how it is around you Larry, but the outfit i retired from [it was Rockwell International when i started there in 1973] after 45 years as a master machinist and shift supervisor, is, and has been begging for workers in all positions and shifts for years, and can't get workers.
even after raising starting wages to $15.50 per hour ! it took me 15 years to get to that wage, and when i retired, i was only making $19.90 per hour ! shruggy
my position pays $38.60 per hour now, after the latest company buy out. [eek] i asked my old boss for a company t-shirt, and he told me i don't work there anymore, so i was SOL. mad
beer

Wall Street Journal newspaper had a fairly long article a few days ago about companies that have recently switched to concentrating their hiring on OLDER WORKERS only, because their “work ethic” advantage outweighed their “aches & pains” physical limitations.

Is the best compromise to have
a 65+ age worker
directing a new robot that can lift 2000 lbs with one arm
but whose robot fingers have the dexterity to thread a needle?
Read this as well. Talked about employers frustration with needy younger workers, and their lack of work ethic, focusing on their phones instead of work, and their overall concern with "me" over everything else while the older worker was ultra reliable, always on time and had far greater work ethic.

Facts are stubborn things.