Originally Posted by jwb123
I wonder what kind of ECM was he using? All modern engines have detonation sensors and the OEM ECM has the ability to retard the ignition timing. Something like a HP tuner should have allowed him to retard the ignition to keep the engine together. Just from my experience most companies that sell water injection recommend simple windshield washer fluid since it has a high alcohol content and will not corrode stuff like straight methanol. I have a procharged small block Chrysler and it uses a FiTech system on pump gas makes 6 lbs of boost. I use performance trends engine software, it will calculate an advance curve for different levels of boost and fuel types. I simply generated the advance curve and then when I was setting up the computer before start up inputted the calculated numbers, it worked perfect.

Yes knock sensors will pull timing but this is reactive for one.

So lets say you're spraying enough methanol to make a difference, first, not very likely you have even cylinder to cylinder distribution unless it's direct port (most aren't), especially on intake manifolds designed for dry flow.

Then many will lean out the main calibration so air/fuel ratio is correct when spraying meth. So in an instant of it failing not only do you not have the octane you need but now the engine is a point or 2 lean.

On something making a lot of power that is instant destruction under full load.

69 Charger. 438ci Gen2 hemi. Flex fuel. Holley HP efi. 650rwhp @7250 510rwtq @5700