Ha, sounds like something I would do. I once rode my 76 BMW R100RS down to a swap meet in Rockford all the way from Appleton WI. Pulled into the toll booth, pulled in the clutch and "snap" goes the clutch cable at the lever. Nuts! threw my change into the bin pushed the bike by foot and once moving clicked it into gear along with a quick stab at the starter button, off I go. With some careful rpm matching I could shift without the clutch, upshifts much easier than downshifts. Luckily the swap meet was less than five miles from the toll booth. Pulled into the meet and just came to a stop, snubbed the engine. Since a BMW airhead has been very similar for decades I just bought a used clutch cable, installed it in the parking lot and was good to ride home.

A lot of people don't know you can shift a manual trans without the clutch if you are good at RPM matching and shift feel, and double clutch. Get up to speed, pull the shifter to neutral as you let off the gas, then match your engine speed to the speed for the next gear and steadily push the shift lever to that gear, and quite often it'll slip right into gear. Before the doors of constant mesh trannys you'd commonly have to double clutch. When I worked in chassis engineering at Pierce Fire Truck in Appleton we did an order for Orange County CA for pumpers with non-synchro five speed manual trannys. I was the only one in engineering that could drive it. Just had to plan the shifts and double clutch.

My 56 C3-B8 Dakota build