I did the Street Machine Nationals in Indy, two of them. The 1ist one was pretty cool, the 2nd was enough to make me not want to go back, ever. I took a 70 Road Runner to both, nothing special by the standards that was there.

My wife and I had our 2 YO daughter with us. We had a hotel on the west side of Indy, but somehow got into the mess on the east side. The people had the street blocked off, and had a pretty narrow pathway through the mass of humanity. The guy that was in front of me did a big burnout, people 30' in front of him (while he was doing the burn out) crowded into the only open pathway to get pictures of his efforts. He got a bit out of shape, and people were scrambling to get out of his way. To this day I have no idea how no one got hurt, but as soon as he passed, the narrow path was reorganized, a couple guys were holding onto the door handles of my car, and people were dumping bleach under my tires. The guy holding the drivers door handle told me I could go when ever I wanted, he and his buddy would hold my door handles so the smoke could really start to roll. About the same time the pathway in front of me was filled with people, I couldn't even see more the 30', nor could I see if anything was on the other side of them. I choose not to do anything stupid, I told the guy to get his hands off my car, and idled through the booing crowd.

When we finally got back to our hotel and got out daughter to sleep, and finally got to sleep ourselves, we got woke up around 2 am to sirens, flashing lights, lots of crowd noise, and Police on bullhorns yelling for the crowds to disperse. The police were just outside of our room window, and we were on the 2nd floor! I looked through the curtain and saw 3 policemen in full riot gear with a Police dog standing in front of our window looking into the parking lot. My car was down there someplace, but at that point, I wasn't concerned about the well being of my treasured car. ! When we got up the next morning, we left Indy.
Being on the grounds was fun, after that, nothing was fun at all.