Originally Posted by WayneM
Just jumping in here to wrap my head around this disastrous phenomenon. I just experienced lifter failure in my ‘14 RT Durango. Details in my “reintroduction” post. I am not very fluent in 3G Hemi details, terminology and descriptions, but I know it’s MDS.
One thing I picked up on before things started making noise was that it seemed that I couldn’t control the MDS with my eco button, and the engine sounded like it was flubbering like it normally sounds when it cuts cylinders.
I’m trying to attach a video of what it sounded like when I took action. I really thought it was a belt pulley, which is why I took the belt off to run it.
I’m really upset this happened to me.

The MDS has NOTHING TO DO WITH IT!!! Millions of hemis were made with MDS that last 200,000+ miles without lifter failure from 2008 back. There are also plenty of 2009 and up ram 2500 and 3500 without MDS that still experience failed lifter rollers.

What is the production date on the door jam in your durango?

Also this is not really an engine destroying event, I have bought them with flat cam lobes and driven them thousands of miles to get em home and bearings and everything still look like new, just stick in a cam and lifters and go but most shops don't want to dig into an engine or worry about all the metal going through the engine but it just ain't what happens on these things. They claim it is because there is grey stuff on the magnets but in reality that stuff is there even on a perfectly good engine and is the reason there are magnets there in the first place.

I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!