Originally Posted by Sniper
I can already tell you that the military will deny all benefits is you are hurt drunk driving. If you get hurt you get no health benefits/coverage. If you die you survivors get squat. So it is already happening.

So, from what you say they are doing it in the USA, but I'm saying that's not the case in Canada. In Canada that person who is drinking and driving would still get healthcare (and be fully prosecuted under the law, plus will probably at least lose their job). There is a clear delineation between the clauses included in contracts from privately run insurance companies (the US situation) and government provided health care (the Canadian situation). In Canada, there is the Canada Health Act: "The Act sets out the primary objective of Canadian health care policy, which is "to protect, promote and restore the physical and mental well-being of residents of Canada and to facilitate reasonable access to health services without financial or other barriers."". I don't know if the US has similar legislation, though, as I think that even poor people can get basic health care in the US - I really don't know how it works there.

As I've stated in posts above, Canada's system is not perfect - in fact IMHO it's in bad shape now - but that doesn't change the facts of what it is intended to do... and how different it is from privately funded (through purchased health insurance), or 'pay as you go' healthcare that the US has, for better or worse.

I'm not debating or competing here. I'm just trying to present the facts of how it really works in Canada, yet some don't seem to want to believe it. I don't blame people for having an Orwellian outlook on how things can deteriorate if left unchecked, but you have to weigh your sources and try to keep a grasp on how things really are. I've watched some of these youtube wonders who spout their conspiracy theories, and often you can shoot holes in whatever they are saying within the first 10 seconds. So even though somebody is saying something that aligns with what you want to hear, it doesn't mean that it's true.