Originally Posted by fourgearsavoy
Originally Posted by dartmeister
I'm trying to finish up a 511/400 stroker motor and have a head gasket question. After measuring the piston to head clearance and figuring in the piston rock, I'm not sure how comfortable I am with using the .043 thick head gaskets I have. I'm thinking of trying the Felpro 1105 where they have a .051 thickness. Can I use that gasket on a 4.375" bore where it has bore size of 4.59"? Thanks.

Just dealing with this same deal right now. Unless your deck and heads are smooth enough for an MLS gasket it's your only choice. The engine I'm doing for a friend has already been decked at least once and heads have been surfaced twice so the pistons are already almost zero. I have the 1105's on the parts shelf now and I think I will be OK judging by the search on this site for that gasket twocents

Gus beer

Thanks for the info. Mine has been decked before and the pistons are .006" above deck height at TDC, and these short skirt pistons rock a little more than I'm used to with a standard stroke 440 piston. I may be okay with my .043" thick copper gaskets I have on hand but I don't feel like tapping a piston on the head.