My 2007 Ram 1500 5.7 had a valve cover leak on the drivers side so I replaced the gasket with a Fel Pro set. The factory gasket design is excellent in these engines.....a recess in the plastic/composite valve cover allows a "rope type" rubber gasket to lay in the groove and stay in place, as opposed to the LA and B/RB setups that allowed the gasket to squish out and leak like there wasn't even a gasket in there.
The Fel Pro gasket didn't fit well. It was as if it had been stretched and didn't want to compress and fit tight.
Yeah, it leaked. It was worse than it was with the original 390,000 mile gasket in place.
I thought maybe the valve cover had a crack in it so today I went to a junkyard/wrecking yard to look for a replacement valve cover.
I saw a 2003 Dodge truck...with cast aluminum valve covers. Hey....these look great!
I thought about replacing both side covers with these aluminum parts but with what I have seen in the past, sometimes there are subtle differences that make a swap much more difficult than it should be.
It turns out that the aluminum covers have a different placement of the coil pack mounting bosses. If I were to install these, the coil packs in the truck wouldn't have worked.
Cheers....