Originally Posted by PhillyRag
"WHY?" Have you ever seen how rusted brake drums or calipers look through the openings of a custom wheel, pretty sure the styling and marketing department asked for them to be paint. I think that's WHY they have "coated" brake drums and brake discs but not just for wheel openings but in general to minimize rust?

Too cover any rust ??? I doubt it.
Of all the colors to choose, they pick Red?
Better with a more neutral color, like black gray etc.
Now red showing may be a "hip/sporty" thing to do wrt owners, but still stupid if you had a green, violet, yellow car.
Some rust color showing would look better then red.
Coatings from the factory on Machined metal parts are there ONLY to prevent flash rust until it leaves the showroom floor.
Really think Chrysler worried about some rust showing after a few years after sold?

Well maybe not "after a few years" but in general for the optics for the first few months or a year or so. Same reason IMO they did the blackout behind the grills and taillight/filler panels. With using red as a color on green, yellow, etc., well I guess the red '69 Air Grabber grills skewed that too. I also guess using red would show the wheel openings as openings and not appear as black painted areas like the painted road wheel sections. Red sure is noticeable and that it is behind the wheels and not black paint on the wheels. Not too many high end or performance cars this day without painted or coated disc brake calipers. Wonder too if Mopar was the first production vehicle with (partially) painted/coated brake drums and calipers? Trend setters.....maybe wink grin