Originally Posted by poorboy
Originally Posted by Fat_Mike
My truck is an '01 Ram with a 5.2. In my experience, belts are horrible these days.
About a decade ago I had a squeal that I would have bet money was coming from my A/C pump. Took my truck to a local guy that I trusted, opened the hood and he said "that's your belt." NO WAY...it's less than a year old! He put some soap on it to prove it to me...
I think Sniper has the right answer. IF it's something other than the belt, a stethoscope might save you some money...

EDIT: BTW, I now use "lifetime" AC Delco belts (from Rock Auto) that last about 3 years, and I'm OK with that.

So, have you replaced the entire belt tensioner, or do you still think the original tensioner is OK and all those belts were the problem? I have serpentine belts that are over 6 years old that do not squeal. I have replaced a few belt tensioners though. After 5 or 6 years, the coil spring and the free movement in the tensioners don't function like they were designed to work, especially in the limited movement area they usually operate in.

Yes. Well...remembering back (and knowing me) I'm certain I went through all that before I searched for outside help. It's possible that I missed something, but there ain't much to miss. shruggy When (not if) the chirp re-appears I'll address it without assumptions. Thanks...I needed that nudge.

Do you have a specific brand of tensioner that you run?