Quote:

I don't really see the benefit of cranking an engine with the ignition off to build oil pressure. It’s still going to move around the same number of dry revolutions to build oil pressure. My use a preoiler if your concerned, or just start it. I don't see how 30 seconds of cranking to build pressure is any better then starting it for a second to build it.

I agree plus the residual oil that is sitting on the bearings after an ignition off cranking session is not what protects them or the journals from damage. It is the crank getting up off the bearings on its oil wedge that protects these parts, and that is a function of oil feed pressure AND sufficient continuous rpm to sustain the wedge. Now if you are trying to suck up some heavy viscosity oil out of the pan in the dead of winter, or an engine that sits for extended periods of time, then a pre-oiling accumulator system like Matt suggested would be a smart idea. I also agree that pre oiling a new motor with an oil pump priming shaft is mandatory. My motor has an instantaneous 80-85 psi cold at fire up at a 1400 rpm idle with 20w 50 synthetic oil, and settles down to about 45-50 psi once it warms up.

Ed.