Originally Posted by Dogpro
440 engine oil pump loses its prime when it sits even for a couple hours and takes 1-2 seconds for it to build pressure, once it builds pressure it is fine and never waivers one bit. I have a mechanical gauge and an idiot light and they both go off at the same exact time. When I take off the filter it is empty and I have put 2 new wix filters and one amsoil filter on with anti-siphon flaps and they all do the exact same thing. At first I thought it was the oil pump and replaced it with a new melling high pressure pump which is what I have had on it for the last 30 years and never had a problem. My valve covers have breathers on them so I don't think its like a vacuum situation drawing the oil out. Is it possible the new filters can't handle the presssure? or is there a better filter?. This is very puzzling to say the least as it came out of the blue this year and this engine has about 25K on it 30 years off use. Any thought would be appreciated. Thanks, Lou

Have you thought of where your oil pressure gauges are hook up to on the rear of the block and the distance (length of the oil galleys) it is to the oil pump and oil filter? If not stop now and think about how long it is taking the oil pump to fill the oil galleys back up after sitting even for a short amount of time scope
In my opinion 1 to 2 seconds is good, as long as you don't rev it to the moon on every start up work
On draining the oil filter, the oil in the pickup will always drain back into the pan once the motor is shut off, it may suck some of the oil out of the filter, maybe not confused
ITHs luck

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)